Saturday, November 13, 2010

What is a Dojo?

All in all, the journey is going well.  My Japanese is even getting better! 

Our Dojo (school) is really incredible.  The Sensei's are wonderful, patient, and great teachers.  Lots of kids also attend, but it is nice to see that I am not the oldest person there.  Just the oldest white belt!  Each workout varies in intensity, but there are a couple that have literally about left me flat on the mat.

The odd thing about Judo is that getting thrown is not really painful.  The very first time I was SERIOUSLY thrown, it was actually a rush.  Weird!  It is nice to know you can take a serious throw and feel good about it.  I remember one of my colleagues telling me that this is what addicted him to the concept of Judo.  He was sparring against another (much smaller) person, and in a split second he was laying on the ground staring at the ceiling wondering what happened.  It was at that point he realized Judo was for him.

Me too.  We looked at Taikwondo originally, but it looked awfully boring.  There isn't anything boring about Judo...so far!

So the journey continues.  More later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment